So this post has nothing to do with nails!
What, but why? Well, skin is our largest organ, so taking care of it has always been an obsession of mine. I’m almost 37 years old, ew, but on a weekly basis, at least 4 or 5 clients think I’m in my late twenties. I know genes can play a factor, but taking care of what you’ve been given, plays an even bigger one!
My Skin Type:
I have oily skin in my t-zone and dryness in other areas. Occasionally, I do break out (crimson wave time), but other than that my skin stays pretty clear. Living previously, in North Carolina and now Texas, I battled EXTREME oily skin issues. I really do feel I have tried about 60% of the current market of skin products. From Dermatologist recommendations, organic, all-natural, over-the-counter, high end professional lines, MLM…you name it, I’ve at one point used it.
One thing I did remember from an Esthetician I work with, it takes six weeks for your skin to purge when switching products. The reason behind it is the molecules that professional products carry are smaller, and actually get into the pore and pull out all that nasty. So you will see breakouts, more oil production, because its cleaning you out. Over-the-counter products, the molecules are bigger and only treat the surface of the skin. So using something like Proactiv (which I was a monthly subscriber) only treats the surface. Where as, using something like Skinceuticals, Dr. Brandt, Vivier, Cosmedix…it repairs the skin, deep into the large pores that we all hate. You have to treat the problem first, before repairing can begin. Think of repairing, as being acne scarring, hyper-pigmentation or sun damage.
I have finally after years of struggling, found a regimen that worked for me, extremely well. My skin is clear, hyper-pigmentation: gone, sun-damage: gone, acne scars, only a couple left and my oil production is back down to a normal healthy level. So what did I do? I had a skin transplant…obvi.
J/K ok, first things first:
- I change my pillow case every other night, and I only use flannel. Soft on the skin, and doesn’t tug and pull it. Not to mention, they have sheep on them, hello who doesn’t want that?
- I remove all my make-up with Shiseido Cleansing Oil, can be purchased from Nordstrom. It’s a little pricey, BUT its not going to clog your pores, and it removes waterproof makeup and sunscreens. It is priced at $33.00 and has Free Shipping!
- I wash my face TWICE a day, (and sorry face wipes are not washing your face).
- The VivierSkin cleanser I use it straight up amazing. My skin isn’t tight after cleansing, which is important to note. Skin tight is over drying, thus your skin will produce more oil to hydrate what you’ve stripped. Its not overly priced, a good size for the value, and a little goes a long way (professional anything, is more concentrated, less is more). Priced at $36.50, and can be purchased from Dermastore.
It is important for me to stress, avoid buying professional products through unauthorized distributors/online stores. Unfortunately, the expiration date of these products are usually past due or diluted down with alcohol. You want to purchase items such as what I’m listing, from authorized distributors. Reason being, active ingredients only last so long…if your want to fix your skin, using something expired will do you no good. VivierSkin stands behind their product, and you would want to buy it from a company that will stand behind what they are selling.
- I also use the VivierSkin Refreshing toner, the name speaks for itself. My skin feels, lets say balanced. Its not to dry, and doesn’t still feel greasy. If you suffer from oily skin, you know what I am talking about! It too, is priced at $36.50, remember a little goes a long way.
Eye cream…hitting that mid-thirty range, you see some thin little lines popping up around that orbital area that send your stomach dropping. Its begun, the aging process. So, the search for eye creams we go. I didn’t want one to compromise my pores, and the longevity of my eye make-up.
- Did some research, and went with It! Cosmetics Confidence in an Eye Cream. I’ve been using it for 8 weeks now, and have about 3 weeks left in the jar. A little goes a long way, it drys very quickly, and doesn’t leave an oily residue on my eye area. I felt for the weight of product, the reputation of the brand, the price was perfect $38.00 and can be purchased at Ulta!
Over the years I’ve used so many moisturizers, and would top them off with foundation, translucent powders and setting sprays to hide the shine. All of these layers though, really made my skin more oily and had major breakouts. You can use a great cleanser, toner and moisturizer, and ruin all of the work. So, I switched to a tinted moisturizer. Does it have the same coverage as foundation? Yes, the one I have used since moving to Texas (4 years ago) is the best.
- It! Cosmetics, has produced some high quality products over the years, and I cant speak more highly of their products. I know, I know, its over-the-counter. But to find a tinted moisturizer in your skin shade, can be hard. I’m always in between what I was finding in professional brands. It was either too light, or pulled orange on my skin. This is neither, AND IT treats your skin as well. So in the morning, the Bye Bye Foundation Full Coverage Moisturizer with SPF 50+ priced at $39.50, I was sold.
Treating those fine lines and wrinkles, masking, exfoliating…what is a human to do? Well, for starters monthly facials, you can never go wrong. Starting as early on as possible. If its not in your budget, here’s some amazing products that can give you, almost, the same results.
- I have used for 12 years, Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion Age Defying Exfoliator. priced at $79.00. YES, its expensive however, the crystals mixed in with the other amazing ingredients, are the same crystals used in a Microdermabrasion treatment from a Spa or Salon. You only use this once a week. If you go over board with this product, you will irritate your skin. This does not replace receiving this treatment in a professional setting, because the machine is going to do a far better job than doing this with your fingers. Follow the directions, this stuff is amazing. Take a before picture….then four weeks later take another. You will be amazed with your results.
For masking away all my worries, I do get monthly Facials, and every other month I do the Hydrafacial. I work in this industry so trading services comes with ease. I leave the masking up to her and what she feels is best. So what if again, not in the budget. Well, Kate Somerville has give you the Hollywood 2-minute facial. Her store is tucked back into the quant Beverly Hills and WeHo line,, next to my fav Marc Jacobs. Not only does this give you a mask, it also exfoliates.
- The academy goes to, ExfoliKate priced at $75.00 , (don’t you just love the name drop in there?) The tingling you will feel, is so refreshing, the glow your skin will have is full of dew like the morning time, on a green grassy knoll in Ireland. Too much?
Nightly Routine, Nerium. It’s all you need, this nightly mask, I have used it for six years. I will never stop buying it as long as they make it, if they stop I will succumb and get a face lift. I don’t partake in the selling of it, I’m just a lover of the product. You can buy it directly from their site, you do not have to go through a rep and get sucked into a MLM. It’s the best nightly routine EVER.
So this is everything. This allows my skin to look and feel like I’m still 22….but pushing 40. Share with me products you love. We’re all junkies here.